for Kate

I had lots of fun playing around with fabrics, making a couple of blocks for Kate in Australia.

Originally, I set about making just one 12” block

Kate F2F 01

using some bright green Moda scraps left over from the keyboard runner I made for my niece a while back.  However, since scraps seemed to be going a long way when combined with a new FQ of grey, and because I was having so much fun . . .

Kate F2F 02

Kate F2F 03

I got carried away ^^

SAL update – Unicorn #4

I’ve been busy stitching more blue . . . and the “Unicorn & Maiden” design by Joan Elliott has progressed from this

SAL 03 07

to this

SAL 24 07

There are only 3 nuances of blue but the overall effect gives the design lots of depth . . . the worst part was remembering to leave “holes” in all the right places which will be filled in, at a later date, with white seed beads

SAL 24 07 zoom

I wonder how other SAL members progressed this month?  If you have time to do some blog hopping, pop over to the following links.

Avis, Gun, Carole, Wendy, LucyAnn, Kate, Jess, Sue, Constanze, Debbierose, Christina and two new members SusanP and Kathy.

Next update on 14th August.

DMC biscornu happy dance

The other day, I showed you a photo of a lovely surprise gift from Wisher, who held a giveaway on her blog Pretty Little Things in a Box, and I was lucky enough to win.  Prize was a DMC biscornu kit and a pair of embroidery scissors.

I wasted no time in making a start on this little project. I do love a biscornu and it had been ages since I made one.


I didn’t have quite enough of the pink (for star) to stitch that symbol both front & back, so I subsituted on one side for a slightly darker pink.  And I decided not to use the red thread, but swapped for a very pale baby pink, to keep the design very bright.


I also decided not to use the pale pink button that came with the kit . . . and used 2 tiny green ones instead.  Typical me, making a few changes along the way Rire


So a happy dance with this lovely little biscornu and another thank you to Wisher. 

surprise mail

I received some lovely surprise mail . . . from my sister


and from Wisher, of Pretty Little Things in a Box, in Singapore, who held a giveaway on her blog recently, I was the lucky winner!


The prize: a kit which includes 2 pieces of floral printed aida, threads, chart, needle, button and wadding to make a lovely biscornu AND Wisher  also sent me a pair of gold stork scissors.  What a lovely surprise that all was! 

F2F – Miss July

July is well underway . . . and I can show you the three blocks that winged their way to Sandra, in France,  who is Miss July, in the F2F swap, organised by Kate.

Sandra asked for “plum and light green on a cream background”.  Photo of her colourway


Here are the blocks I made and sent.

July 01

First one, called “Mosaic”.  Lots of triangles with seams going in all directions, so it was trickier than I thought to line everything up. Pattern and instructions found here.

July 02

Second block “Golden Gate” (I managed to get things sewn the right way round this time, unlike in June).  Pattern and instructions found here.

July 03

And third block is a variation of a 9 patch.  My first ever attempt at making flying geese triangles.  Now that I’ve mastered them, there will no stopping me Rire  Pattern and instructions found here.

If you have a few minutes to spare, please check out the F2F blog where you’ll be able to see the gallery of lovely blocks made by other members as the swap unfolds.

not just patchwork

My blog started out, many moons ago, as a place to share my cross stitch addiction.  Little by little other crafts seem to have taken over, mainly patchwork which has become a new addiction.  However, today I do have some cross stitch progress to share . . . an easy project I began last month

out on limb

It makes for a nice relaxing project when I don’t want to mess around with too many symbols or colour changes . . . and currently looks like this

out on a limb

I’m using a very dark grey instead of black, for the cat, and am not respecting colour references for other colours either, but the design is simple enough for that not to matter. 

I have also been patchworking though ^^  And am very pleased to be able to show you this

let it bee 03

Yes, I have finished assembling all my hexies by hand and am ready to move onto the next stage.  This top contains 674 hexies, all basted onto paper before sewing together.  I have removed all but the outer edge of papers now . . . carefully storing in my box in case I decide to make another hexie quilt in the future ^^

pinwheels cot quilt happy dance

Happy dancing here, with a blue pinwheels quilt that I made for baby Zacharie. 

baby pinwheels 04

After making my 12 blocks of pinwheels (making HSTs from 5” squares), using some small bits of printed fabrics (owls and polka dots) I added plain blue sashing and then an outer border in the pale marbled fabric to make things cot-sized.

Then I did the backing, quilting & binding

baby pinwheels 06

for a finished quilt that measures 37” x 46” (94cm x 117cm).

baby pinwheels 07

I did straight line echo quilting, using my walking foot on each block in white thread, and added one of the speciality embroidery stitches at intersections on sashing.  Difficult to see, but it’s a little asterix/daisy.

baby pinwheels 08

Blue isn’t a colour I usually work with, but I started on this project wanting to use the cute little owls, and this solid blue seemed the ideal fabric.  As mentioned in previous article, I’ve made this cot-size, but if parents prefer to simply put it on the floor and use it as a playmat for Zacharie, that’s fine by me.