I do make myself laugh sometimes, with my eternal optimism! It was way back in February that I posted the following photo
of reborn dolls in disassembled parts, showing you Alice with her new home-made body and then signing off with a “Stay tuned in the coming weeks”. A few weeks, became 5 months!
Anyway . . . Lily (the vinyl doll I got for Christmas) is really just a toy doll – not a specially made reborn doll or kit. She is a modern Spanish-made doll (by Nines d’Onil). She was made with a simple soft cotton body (see upper left in photo) and her 3/4 limbs were actually machine stitched directly onto the body.
As you can see, from above photo, this means her limbs didn’t have the ridges which are needed to fasten on a proper reborn body, with the plastic cable ties. Knowing this, I had ordered in some special parts to adapt the limbs. It was just a question of setting to work with my Stanley knife, cutting out the vinyl plugs very carefully, lesting limbs, and then gluing in the new plugs (I bought 2 x 35mm for the arms and 2 x 40mm for the legs). I didn’t think to take photos – sorry.
Anyway, after adapting the limbs, then weighting limbs and head nicely, with very fine glass beads (poured directly into limbs to fill half way) and placed inside a vinyl disposable DIY glove for the head, then filling up the rest with soft toy stuffing . . . I weighted and stuffed Alice’s old body (with 2 more vinyl gloves containing fine glass beads plus lots of soft stuffing), attached Lily’s body parts with cable ties and . . .
This is what little Lily now looks like. I made the head quite heavy, so it flops with its own weight. The whole point being to give Lily a newborn baby feel to her.
With the lesting in limbs, she is now quite poseable.
And I think body/versus limb & head proportions look okay.
Here she is, all dressed up and looking pretty (I didn’t make the dress)
She has grown a little bit, with her new body, and now measures approx 48cm (instead of the original 44cm) which is a fairly realistic size for a newborn, however she’s still a featherweight, despite lesting. She weighs in at only 1.4 kilos. Saying that, she’s plump enough to fit a proper newborn baby nappy.
I’m really pleased with how she turned out. She’s lovely and cuddly. Limbs & head give her a nice floppy feel, and she always looks so peaceful lol.
What she now needs are some new clothes for the summer – custom made just for her and maybe even a little hat. I’m not going to do any clothes making for Baby Viking until after the birth when we’ll know if it’s a boy or a girl. And even then I’m not going to bother to even try and make clothes for Baby Viking to wear this summer. Baby isn’t due until August, and summer in the UK will probably almost be over by then. However some summer clothes making for Lily will enable me to do a few trial runs with the patterns I bought.
I won’t say “stay tuned in the coming weeks” this time, as I’ll probably get side-tracked by something else . . . haven’t picked up my crochet hook in a while . . . although I am thinking I ought to cut and sew out a body for little Noah. And still plan to make another body for Alice to remedy the puffy shoulder problem.
One last photo, because I can’t resist: