I had said I wouldn’t be showing you photos of the new baby quilt in progress until it was finished . . . but I’m going back on my word ecause these fabrics are just too much fun not to show off.
The quilt top is done. I had a rethink along the way, and have toned things down a little towards the end. Originally I was going to add purple bands all around, but I’ve added ivory sashing instead. Ivory rather than bright white, because it turns out the bird background isn’t a bright white. Purple will be used again though, for the binding. Here, just laid on top to get an idea of what it will look like.
And will, methinks, be just perfect.
I found inspiration for this fun quilt in the book
“Quick and easy quilts for kids” by Connie Ewbank. It’s packed full of 12 very easy designs, mostly with novelty prints and bright colours. They’re all very simple, but it was a useful source to give me the ideas I needed and not have to work out fabric requirements by myself.
This is the pattern I followed from the book. As I said above, I was going to have purple borders and ivory binding . . . but when push came to shove, opted for ivory borders and purple binding.
This top is now going to be folded away and the job of quilting and binding will wait a few weeks. Baby isn’t due yet, so no immediate rush to get this finished. I need to give Juki a good clean, before the next sewing session, and I’ll be threading her up with orange thread so I can have a F2F2 happy dance by the end of July!