Last month, I started a knitting project to finally use up a yarn cake I’d had in my stash for a while.
It’s a cotton/acrylic mix which knits up a bit hairy . . . and label had tension at something between DK and 4-ply . . . so I figured I’d take a chance anyway and try out this King Cole DK pattern I bought a while back. It has 2 designs: this pretty top, and a more simple short-sleeved cardigan. With my 150g of yarn cake, I reckoned I should be able to knit the top in size 3-4 years. And I did. Although it turned out more a size 3 years than 4.
Daisy doll is approx 90cm tall, so she’s an average 3-year old in size.
Almost had a massive fail on this knitting project because of my yarn not being DK and because I was too lazy to knit a tension swatch. I just cast on and hoped for the best. Width was looking good. Length from armhole cast off appeared good. I knitted along merrily, and soon had a back & front. It was after sewing shoulders and finishing off the neckline that I realised what had gone wrong. The neckband didn’t have enough stretch for me to get the thing over Daisy’s head. Arggghhh!
I almost binned the project there and then but after a good night’s sleep . . . I found a solution. I unpicked one shoulder seam, and fudged a button hole. So . . . one shoulder unbuttons, to allow the top to go over Daisy’s head . . . and it’s not neat enough for me to show you lol. But at least the top fits and looks pretty from a distance. If any of you have a doll phobia, it’s time to look away now, because photos of Daisy modelling in the garden follow. (Note: if anyone is interested, Daisy is, in fact, a “Chantal” model by the doll artist Monika Levenig).
I think I will be tempted to knit this pattern again, but using 100% cotton DK. In the meantime, I have plans to start the cardigan version from the same pattern.