A finish and a new start to share with you today!
First . . . a large diamond painting project, begun in April, and finished only the other day.
No idea how many hours I spent on this but it was very enjoyable to do. I now have to decide where I’m going to hang it. It’s quite big: canvas measures 80cm x 30cm with the diamond painted part measuring approx 75cm x 25cm.
That’s the feather, now for the lace . . .
After the success of learning the “lace” stitching in knitting, I rummaged through my yarn stash and went on-line to look for suitable patterns. I had 10 x 50g balls of Rico Design Fashion Fantasy DK cotton, bought more than 6 years ago, and never used because I always felt my knitting skills weren’t good enough. Anyway, I shopped online at Wool Warehouse and decided on a Sirdar pattern: Beachcomber DK # ref 7283 which is for a summer cardie, in cotton. Options are for short or long sleeves, and sizes from 61/68cm (child) chest through to 112/117cm.
I’m knitting this for myself, so am following the 102/107cm size, which (if my yarn knits up like the Beachcomber) will need 6 of my 50g ballls. If all goes well, I should have enough left to knit the smallest child version too. I always begin with a swatch, especially when not using the recommended yarn for a pattern. Rico Designs says to use a 3.5mm needle for 22 x 28 tension, so I cast on 22 and knitted 14 rows on a 3.5mm needle. That came out spot on, 10cm x 5cm so I didn’t waste any more time before casting on for the real thing.
This is how far I’ve got so far after using the first 50g ball. I am knitting the back, which has 2 bands of the lace pattern (18 rows repeat). To make things easier for myself, I’m using 4 stitch markers, one either side of the 13 stitch bands which means I can knit mindlessly until I come to a stitch marker, slow down to follow pattern, then speed up again.
And another to give you a closer look at the band ((which would have looked better if I’d blocked but I’ll worry about that when all parts are knitted).