small knitting

I realise I’ve been a bit quiet here of late . . . days turning into weeks without any crafting natter . . . time to remedy that because I have been crafting.  Mainly knitting, but it’s been doll-related, so the following photos were taken specifically to post here (without scarey dolls’ heads)  to share.

First up, I discovered the lovely patterns of Debonair Designs (available to buy on etsy and Ravely) and had lots of fun knitting her “Maya” pattern twice.  My first attempt, in Stylecraft Special DK turquoise & sherbert, was before Avis taught me how to cable, so I altered the bottom border and just knitted seed stitch to give some texture.

For the second attempt, in Stylecraft Special DK  grape & clematis, I had mastered the art of cables, therefore was able to follow the pattern exactly and knit the correct spine stitch pattern.

“Maya” is a poncho style cardigan/sweater that can be worn with button fastening at the back, to give the impression of a turtle-necked sweater, or with buttons at the front.  Then, because I was having so much fun, I knitted a matching hat to go with the turquoise & sherbert sweater.

After that, and having gained in confidence with my knitting needles . . . I cast on for a new garment.  This time without a pattern!  I set to work, knitting a  “fisherman style” sweater for my large (67cm) male BJD doll, using Stylecraft Special DK in parchment.   As I say, I wasn’t following a pattern this time which was a very novel (and quite scarey) experience.  I also made things slightly more challenging for myself in that I wanted to have texture, so decided to stitch a “broken rib” throughout.  Basically two rectangles, for front & back, with a little bit of shaping for neck/shoulders.  I worked for the first time ever with DPNs to pick up stitches and do ribbing on neck.

 

 

And then after some maths & measuring, I knitted sleeves.

One advantage of BJD dolls is that, aside from being fully jointed, their heads come off!  This means I knitted this sweater without worrying about button fastenings (usually when making doll clothes they need to have an opening in the back in order to get the garment over doll’s head.   With BJD clothes, it’s possible to cheat and remove doll’s head when dressing.

I was ever so pleased with how well this turned out!  I also took care to write down all the important things (stitch count, increases, decreases, number of rows etc) so that I can hopefully make this again. Or play around trying different stitch combinations.