SAL “Tiny Treasures” #4

Time really does seem to be speeding up. It doesn’t feel like 3 weeks since the last SAL update, but the calendar doesn’t lie.

Here’s the photo I posted last time.

of the blackwork project Avis and I are stitching, in different colours. This design is by Elizabeth Almond of Blackwork Journey.

Progress for this time

Here is the list of all SAL members.

Next update on 15th November.

all good things . . .

I’m not sure who said “all good things come to an end” or that you can have “too much of a good thing” . . . either way, I have a confession to make.  Early November last year, I made a resolution, to not buy any crafting supplies and to use only stash for a full 14 months, hoping to make it to January 2021.  I did give myself a few loop holes (such as the possibility of buying in specific supplies if needed to finish off a specific project) and stuck to that.  However, with thoughts turning to Christmas, I caved, and had some retail therapy on line.

While being good, I did manage to use approx 12 metres of fabric from my stash and probably more than 14 balls of yarn . . . YipYip being a great way to use some of my odd balls of chunky.

But, as admitted, this month, I caved in and bought some new crafting supplies . . .

Several balls of gorgeous brights, with Christmas presents in mind (xmas present production has officially begun).  And

this little lot of supplies, after much researching and dilemma.  The photo above is of three pièces of fake leather in cream, navy and terracotta plus some smallish (20cm x 10cm) foam.  If I show you the next photo, with an added element, you might be able to guess what I hope to be up to soon.

Hole puncher and eyelet pliers . . . because the plan is to make some shoes/boots for my dolls.  Shoes/boots for dolls can work out very expensive to buy, especially for my larger BJD dolls.  I have therefore decided I am going to try my hand at shoe-making . . . the black foam being essential for shoe/boot soles.  Fingers crossed for me please!

 

small knitting

I realise I’ve been a bit quiet here of late . . . days turning into weeks without any crafting natter . . . time to remedy that because I have been crafting.  Mainly knitting, but it’s been doll-related, so the following photos were taken specifically to post here (without scarey dolls’ heads)  to share.

First up, I discovered the lovely patterns of Debonair Designs (available to buy on etsy and Ravely) and had lots of fun knitting her “Maya” pattern twice.  My first attempt, in Stylecraft Special DK turquoise & sherbert, was before Avis taught me how to cable, so I altered the bottom border and just knitted seed stitch to give some texture.

For the second attempt, in Stylecraft Special DK  grape & clematis, I had mastered the art of cables, therefore was able to follow the pattern exactly and knit the correct spine stitch pattern.

“Maya” is a poncho style cardigan/sweater that can be worn with button fastening at the back, to give the impression of a turtle-necked sweater, or with buttons at the front.  Then, because I was having so much fun, I knitted a matching hat to go with the turquoise & sherbert sweater.

After that, and having gained in confidence with my knitting needles . . . I cast on for a new garment.  This time without a pattern!  I set to work, knitting a  “fisherman style” sweater for my large (67cm) male BJD doll, using Stylecraft Special DK in parchment.   As I say, I wasn’t following a pattern this time which was a very novel (and quite scarey) experience.  I also made things slightly more challenging for myself in that I wanted to have texture, so decided to stitch a “broken rib” throughout.  Basically two rectangles, for front & back, with a little bit of shaping for neck/shoulders.  I worked for the first time ever with DPNs to pick up stitches and do ribbing on neck.

 

 

And then after some maths & measuring, I knitted sleeves.

One advantage of BJD dolls is that, aside from being fully jointed, their heads come off!  This means I knitted this sweater without worrying about button fastenings (usually when making doll clothes they need to have an opening in the back in order to get the garment over doll’s head.   With BJD clothes, it’s possible to cheat and remove doll’s head when dressing.

I was ever so pleased with how well this turned out!  I also took care to write down all the important things (stitch count, increases, decreases, number of rows etc) so that I can hopefully make this again. Or play around trying different stitch combinations.

 

SAL – “Tiny Treasures” #3

Needle has been flying and lots of fun had, as I make progress on this lovely blackwork design by Elizabeth Almond.

Here’s what things looked like last time.

And here’s progress for this time.

Some of you seemed to hoping for more colours, so sorry to disappoint.  I chose dark brown, gold, three different reds and three different greens for this piece.  So this is as colourful as it will get I’m afraid.  Anyway Avis and I managed to push ourselves and get 8 squares done this time, but I doubt we’ll keep up that pace each time.

Let’s go see what other SAL members have been up to.

And we’ll meet back up on 25th October for our next update.