After some fairly recent knitting for dolls, I fancied working on something a little bigger . . . so what better excuse than to start work on a cardigan for Toddler Viking?
The husband gifted me some lovely colourful balls of yarn at Christmas, so I had a search on-line for a pattern, deciding on one by Sirdar (1219). I bought the pattern as an instant download on Wool Warehouse. And immediately set to work on my swatch (since I am using Gründl yarn and wasn’t sure whether it would knit up to same gauge as the recommended Sirdar DK). My swatch was good . . . so I cast on and knitted two sleeves. My plan being to knit the cardie in 2 different yarns: the colour changing yarn for the lower part & sleeves, but a plain yellow for the bodice part which has a stitch pattern. Toddler Viking is 18 months old already, so I’m knitting a size 2-3 years, with full length sleeves – hoping it’ll be a good fit this Spring/Summer.
While I managed to get my colours matching, more or less, on both sleeves for the stripes, the actual pattern created by yarn didn’t work out matching. Not to worry lol.
Before starting the two fronts, I did a trial run with some leftover blue yarn, to make sure I could follow the bodice pattern. I’ve only ever done rib, stocking stitch or garter before, so the idea of following a stitch pattern and getting my knits & purls in all the right places had me a little worried.
This was my practice piece, with a few rows of shaping, to make sure I felt confident enough to start on the real thing.
And a couple of knitting sessions later, ta da!!! I have two cardigan fronts – yay! Not 100% convinced my idea of plain yellow for the bodie part was such a good idea after all, but it’s too late now – I’m not frogging!