I’ve been a bit quiet on my blog this month. This doesn’t mean I haven’t been doing some blog-hopping to see what everyone else is up to. Nor does it mean I haven’t been crafting – au contraire – I have! However, several of the projects I’m working on are either secret crafting projects, or not far enough in the making to be worth blogging about.
Still, I do have 2 projects to talk about . . . first up, is the latch hook “Puppy” rug kit by Versaco.
The hooking is finally complete – yay! Once I set my mind to it, it came along very quickly. Helped by the fact that I’ve been playing catch up, watching The Great British Sewing Bee on my tablet. Since the husband isn’t too keen on sewing programmes, I watch GBSB while sitting out in the kitchen, and kitchen table was the most comfortable place for latch hooking. I’ve already trimmed the excess canvas, and begun the job of finishing edges neatly. I will share a fully finished photo with you in due course.
I’ve also been doing some sewing. Several projects in mind for Baby Viking, and big plans on moving out of my comfort zone to make a few garments with stretch fabrics. True to myself, I thought it best to have a trial run with stretch fabrics before cutting into the yummy piece I’ve bought for BV. And, after the clear out in my wardrobe last month, I had a couple of Tshirts (that didn’t get handed down or put in the Red Cross recyle bin) I had kept, precisely to slice up and use for some trial sewing. So, one Tshirt repurposed into a pair of toddler sized trousers. Scraps above are all that was left of the Tshirt. I remembered to use a special Jersey/stretch fabrics needle in Juki and I used the overlocking stitch for everything. I noticed that Juki tended to skip a stitch occasionally (not sure if it was my fault or because fabric was quite fine) if I tried to sew too quickly. After adjusting speed and taking things slowly though, all seams looked good. I even thought to cut pieces so the bottom of the Tshirt became the hemline of the legs – hence the really professional overlocked hems!
I was planning, initially, to make something in Baby Viking size for this summer, and followed a pattern accordingly (more or less) however, . . . after popping round to hold these up against our little neighbour (who’s 19 months old), the verdict was: way too wide. Waist and the “rise” are good, but legs are much too wide for what I was aiming for (which was more of a jegging than a trouser). Not to worry! They turned out to be quite a good fit, as 3/4 length leggings on Daisy, so she gets to keep them. And oh surprise . . . they look rather good with the pinafore dress I made for her. Anyone would think I made these sizing mistakes on purpose, but I don’t! This second photo shows you the true colour – a lovely turquoise/aqua, which makes the perfect “bottoms” to match the pinafore dress.
While I had camera out, and Daisy was posing . . . I couldn’t resist playing with more of my dolls. I realise the following photos will freak some readers out. I know, I know, most people think my dolls are creepy, so you’ll just have to close your eyes and scroll down if you don’t want to see the following doll pictures. First pic is of Daisy, posing as”big sister” to Lily .
Then with Alice (who incidentally is wearing a pinafore dress I made last year using the same pattern as Daisy’s dress).
And finally, with Noah.
That’s all the doll photos for now, you can open your eyes!
Gibbs, who is overjoyed that my most recent check-up with foot surgeon went well, and daily walks to the park have resumed. And about time too, says Gibbs!