I had something of a clear out in my wardrobe the other day . . . filling several bags with clothes to drop off at the Red Cross bin as I ruthlessly got rid of anything that no longer fits. And when putting clothes back neatly, realised it was time to set to work and make a few clothes as there’s more going to the Red Cross than being put back in the wardrobe/drawers.
To get myself back into training (as I haven’t done any sewing since well before Christmas) I chose to make a few new pairs of PJ shorties. The ones I made a few years ago are still going strong, but the shorts were all too tight (bum area being where the extra weight has piled on). Anyway, because I’m a bit of a skin-flint at times . . . I wanted to make this project a “use what you have” one, bearing in mind that the only person who’s going to see me in my PJs is the husband. Oh and maybe the postman, GLS delivery man and a couple of neighbours. I therefore delved first into my stash of bed sheets. Yup, have quite a few brand new, never been used, 100% cotton bed sheets that I “inherited” from MIL. By my way of thinking, if they’re good for sheets, they’re good for nightwear! Only problem was . . . in a solid colour, all I have is a bright pink or a rather yucky brown. So the choice was simple: bright pink please! Not that I’m a pink gal, but for PJs, I’ll make an exception.
I then had a rummage in my fabric stash, wanting something to contrast nicely with the pink, because I planned on using one of my old faithful patterns: NewLook 6871. It’s really for a proper day-wear summer tunic (of which I have made several) but it’s such a comfortable fit, I like it for my PJ tops too.
I decided on one of my feather print fabrics and made two tunics. Cut my own binding in pink bed sheet for the tunic with pink yoke and used white binding for the one with feather print yoke (although facing is in pink on both).
I made 2 pairs of shorts in the pink, using Butterick B5432. The advantage of using a double bed sheet for a sewing project is, there’s just so much fabric!!!!! The other advantage: I know, from having used this brand of bed sheet before, that it’ll wash up nice & soft, and be really comfortable as shorts.
And I just love my bright new PJs! Can’t wait for bed time!
Next sewing project is going to be less fun. Our sofas have been totally destroyed by cat claws. I bought in reams & reams of a sage green denim last year, the plan being to make new covers for both sofas. Sofas are looking even worse than they were, this time last year, so I’ve procrastinated for too long! The month of February has seen the husband and myself stripping wallpaper in the living room. Husband repainted all walls white, while I was up on high, cleaning our wooden beams and painting panels inbetween white. Now that is done, the scraggy grey sofas really do let the side down.
I also intend to move out of my comfort zone where clothes making goes, after enjoying watching the new season of GBSB. Up until now, my clothes making projects have been made using just 4 different patterns, which are all in the “easy” category. I feel it’s time I became braver . . . so I’m gradually psyching myself up to attempting a pair of trousers with zip and a lady’s shirt with long sleeves, cuffs and buttons. But first, I’ll be battling away with my pattern paper, trying to draft something that will look like a fitted sofa cover.