I come to share photos of my second ever finished knitted garment – yay!
It’s far from perfect, believe me, and when you scroll down, you’ll see some very ugly seams. I had such fun knitting this though and my confidence had come along in leaps & bounds as I knitted up all my pieces. I even quite enjoyed learning to knit buttons bands, and making my first ever button holes. The not such fun part began when I came to the sewing everything together. And that’s when the “things were going so well” cardie almost ended up in the bin. Even the husband took one look at it and commented on what a mess I’d made of sewing on the sleeves. Seeing my glum face, he tried to back track with a “it’s a shame because your knitting is nice and regular”. Oh well. I won’t learn if I don’t try, and believe me, I do try.
Anyway, here it is. I used a cheap acrylic yarn bought years ago in a “discount” shop. Pattern was a free download and is called RUE designed by Martin Storey for Rowan.
It looks okay(ish) lying flat, although in first photo you can see sleeves aren’t lying quite right. That’s not an optical illusion, it’s my sewing that leaves much to be desired and plenty of room for improvement.
And because I feel it’s important not just to show things from the best angle . . . this is the messy/ugly part (on both shoulders)
Anyway, the big question is, of course: does it fit? Well it does, and it doesn’t.
It looks more or less like the photo on the pattern (true colour being in first 3 photos). Sleeves are the correct length. Buttons are all placed at even intervals. And I can button it up or leave it open.
It feels a bit too snug around the arms for my liking though. In fact, the sleeves were so snug at first, they felt like a second skin, but have loosened up a bit after wearing. I don’t think the snugness is anything to do with my knitting, simply the style of the sleeves. I suppose one of the other things I need to learn is how to choose a pattern and avoid slim sleeves in future!
When I first tried it on, in its finished state, all I could see were the messy shoulders. I felt very frustrated that a knitting project which has taken me months to complete was let down in the final stages because of messy assembly. However, since it was finished, I decided I might as well wear it indoors or under a coat, when walking the dog or chatting to my hens. And, as long as I don’t catch sight of myself in a mirror, I can forget about what it looks like and simply be pleased that I managed to knit my first ever cardigan!
I had had great plans of moving on to an even more challenging project after this. The husband picked out a men’s Stylecraft pattern and DK yarn that took his fancy, so “the plan”, once I finished the cardie, was to start work on that! However, the husband agrees I still need a little more practice with my seams, and since I won’t get much practice if I keep on knitting adult sized items . . . my next project is going to be a small cardigan for one of my dolls.