Some rather exciting news to share with you . . . orange sashing has been added to all 30 blocks, and now quilting has actually begun! Yay! I’m rather amazed myself, at how motivated I am to get these blocks all assembled and made into a huge quilt.
But motivated I am! Also somewhat scared . . . because the quilting stage is where things can go wrong. I’m more of a piecer, where patchwork goes. Not a very proficient quilter, and this project is even more scarey because I’m quilting so many gorgeous blocks made by other ladies.
For the moment, I have done six of the thirty. Here they are (three from Lynn and three from Kate). They’ve each got a little label pinned on to remind me of where they belong in my layout. I’m quilting in orange thread and keeping things very simple. A fair amount of echo quilting going on. Some in the ditch. And a very relaxed “let’s see what happens here” design.
Don’t know if you can see, but I’ve got a sort of “maze/labyrinth” thing going on on a couple, which seems to be working quite well. Basically, each block will be quilted differently, depending on what the block pattern inspires, and within my limitations.
In case you’re wondering – I cut wadding & backing fabric slightly bigger, and only trimmed once I’d quilted each block. I’m using the QAYG method, so the plan is to quilt all 30, make sure they all measure the same, and then assemble with thin strips.