Way back, in December 2015, I had a purse making session, using a lovely batch of metal purse clasps I had bought. I made a whole selection of little coin purses for ladies in the family and close friends, trying to choose different fabrics to suit the tastes of the ladies these gifts were intended for. Below, is an example. Purses, left to right, gifted to: my daughter, my sister and my niece T.
Niece T is in her late 20s, and I thought this pink & purple fabric was perfect. She loved it, and put it into use immediately, as a mini-make-up bag . . . however, when aforementioned niece saw photos of the rest of the batch I had made, notably this one, I got the impression I hadn’t chosen fabrics quite so well.
Sugar skulls on red, was made and gifted to N, 2nd son’s partner lol. Anyway, my sister (mother to niece T) asked if I had any more sugar skull fabric leftover . . . and could I make a second purse for T.
Now, I did have a couple of purse clasps left over, lurking in the back of my supplies drawer, but I fancied trying something different. Spent a while on youtube, watching video tutorials on how to put in a zip properly, using that special zipper foot which came with my machine and I’d never used before. I also had a small piece of the red sugar skull fabric . . . but decided to splash out and buy a new FQ in black.
The result of a couple of hours sewing . . .
One zipper pouch, 9” x 5” (made to the size of my zip) which, I hope, will be a nice make-up bag size.
One smaller zipper pouch (approx 5” x 4”) which would be big enough just for a few make-up essentials to slip in the bottom of a handbag . . .
And another make-up bag sized zippy pouch (about 7.5” x 5”) in the original red fabric. Zips have been left open in this last photo so you can see the gorgeous contrasting turquoise lining.
These pouches are quite light weight. I ironed on interfacing to the outer fabric, to give it a little more body, but that’s all. I learned quite a lot during this sewing project. Was really surprised at how easy it is to put in a zip when you use the correct foot lol. In the past, I’ve just used the normal sewing foot. However, there are a few areas I need to improve on for next time. I also discovered (to my expense) that even just a few hours sewing was probably more than I should have done and I paid for it the next day. So, mental note to self: keep sewing sessions to under one hour for the time-being.