I showed you a photo the other day of my Silvercrest (very basic machine) set up on a higher work surface, to experiment with sewing while standing up (to help my back).
The Silvercrest doesn’t have a needle up/down option, nor does it have any means of sewing without using foot pedal, but I thought I’d give it a go. And since this was an experiment, I decided not to attempt anything very big, or delve too deeply into my fabric stash.
For Christmas, second son and N sent me some pre-cut fabrics – this lot being 4” squares, in lots of rather baby blue motifs. They seemed a good idea for a trial as most of the cutting was already done for me.
Lots of chain piecing went on . . . using 4” squares cut from an old cot sheet, and some rectangles cut from an inexpensive blue cotton.
The top that has resulted so far looks thus
I have to own up to sitting down with my Juki for the sashing and outer borders. It was much too difficult trying to keep things lined up properly once I had long seams to sew . . . but sewing standing up is possible . . . and I will no doubt try it some more.
This top will be quilted, when I feel ready for something more physical and is destined to be a “blankie” for Gibbs lol. Not one for every day use, because he’ll probably chew it to pieces, but one for him to sit/lie on when travelling in the car. I realise it will quickly get dirty and covered in Gibb’s hair, but it’ll wash !