Temperatures have suddenly rocketed in our part of France. I don’t know exactly how hot it’s been, but the mercury shot up to 45°C the other day in the veranda, although I realise that’s behind glass, and official temperatures are always taken in the shade. I’m guessing it’s been in the low 30s and it’s no doubt going to get a whole lot warmer.
I don’t like the heat, but I was rather glad of the opportunity to float around in the cotton dress I made earlier this year. So wonderfully cool. And I’ve decided I need more cool clothes for my summer wardrobe so . . . off I went to sew.
I wanted to use this pattern again: NewLook 6086. I made tunic A last month out of an old quilt cover, and I really like the style. It’s a very easy pattern, so I increased the difficulty by using a “satin de coton” I bought last year. It was a bargain buy, of 1 metre for 4€ (that’s £3 or $4.55US). 1 metre was all I needed.
The difficulty for me, as a novice seamstress, was working with the very fine, slippery fabric . . . and in order not to have any issues with fraying on the inside, I set to work with French seams. My first attempt at French seams and, I have to say, I love them! They give such a neat finish and I honestly found them easy to do, rather than worrying about zigzagging or overlocking my edges. And on a side-note . . . in French, a French seam is called a “couture à l’anglaise” lol.
This is a photo of the wrong side, with a French seam going down the back (can’t see it terribly well, but it’s there).
A close up of the binding. I made my own binding, out of the same fabric, for neckline and armholes. And this time, I followed the pattern, folding completely to the inside.
It’s one of the easiest patterns you’ll probably find on the market. Only 3 pattern pieces: 1 front and 2 for the back. The only “fiddly” bit – there are slits up both sides, which begin at hip-bone level.
I love my new tunic which is going to be wonderfully cool to wear this summer. I don’t think I could have bought something as nice for only 4€ ^^ Next project is to run up a pair of grey cotton trousers to wear with it . . . it’s going to be too warm for jeans. However, I might play around with some more print fabric first and make myself another floaty dress. Stay tuned to find out ^^