I wonder if any of my followers remember these two stitchings?
If you do, it means you’ve been following my blog for quite a few years, because I stitched these two pieces in 2013. “Indian Brave” and Indian Maiden”, designs by R Rheinhardy, and both charts came in the same kit by Janlynn.
As is usual for me, these got bunged away in a drawer – the pleasure with cross stitch (for me at least) is the stitching, and I sort of lose interest once I’ve finished a project. However, thanks to my Juki, I am motivated to make sure that 2016 is the year of finishing off some of those cross stitch pieces so . . . I did some fabric auditioning. The reason: I had bought a bargain FQ of an interesting print, which I thought would work quite well with my Native American Indians.
I literally pulled out everything that could possibly be used, even toying with the idea of adding a lovely yellow and a bright orange at one point
but on second thought, no . . . I wanted to keep things dark and “earthy”. I rarely do any maths when I begin a small project like this, so once I had whittled down my choice of fabrics, I just did some stripping and assembled bands until I had a large enough piece. Which I then sliced up.
The aida of each indian was evened to 8” x 21” and I simply added narrower band strips top & bottom, then wider band strips to both sides.
I managed to more or less centre the pattern on print fabric, on the wider bands but didn’t worry too much about the top & bottom.
For the moment things look like this. Indians are deliberately not centred because I want a narrower border on the side they are facing, and wider border to their backs. Each piece measures approx 17” x 30, but will be trimmed down on the final leg.
Both pieces now need wadding, backing, quilting, binding & loops, but that will be a job for another day. Almost a happy dance but not quite lol.