Some ladies give their patchwork quilts names . . . I think I’m going to give my clothes-making efforts names . . . and today I come to tell you about “the unlikely tunic”.
It all started with me, going through a cardboard box of fabric I had inherited from MIL and coming across reams and reams of very patterned fabrics, all of them in various kinds of shimmery, slippery fabrics. I’m no expert. I know cotton, linen, velvet, denim and viscose, but that’s about it. Anyway . . . I measured up the various treasures I had (some as much as 3.5m !!!) and did some draping of fabric over myself, to try and get an idea of what fabrics would look like as clothes. Sort of like this – hmmmmm!
Now, this piece is ever so pink (and red) as well as being grey and white . . . pink is not my colour but there was just something about this print that kept calling me. The fabric is, I think, a silk cotton (if that exists?). It didn’t mind a really hot iron, and has a very silky sheen to it as well as being very slippery. I had about 1.50m so decided to just get on, cut, and make myself another tunic.
I’d already made this pattern (NewLook 6871) 3 times, using the model with contrasting yoke and band. I decided to attempt a shorter version, because of the amount of fabric. Ummed and ahhed about the floppy cap sleeves and did actually sew 2 sleeves (but that went awry so I binned them).
I therefore just stuck with what I knew how to do – ie, home-made binding at the armholes. It was a challenge enough, just working with this very fine fabric but I muddled along. And voilà.
It’s still very pink, which is an unlikely colour for me . . . but it’s going to be lovely and cool to wear this summer. I, and another person who shall remain anonymous, had my doubts about the large floral print (and the pink) but it worked out rather nicely in the end, hence . . “the unlikely tunic”.