Title says it all, even though it sounds rather like the title to a toddler’s book . . . you know “Claire’s first tooth” followed by “Claire’s first step”.
I’ve been motivated to get sewing this year by my daughter, Lindashee. She has decided that her free time is going to be spent in her little flat in England, making clothes. We did some on-line shopping together the other week (over skype) because Jaycotts were having a sale on patterns and I plopped the following into my cart.
Top three patterns destined for my daughter and lower three patterns for myself ^^ Mine are all in the EASY category and, you will notice, all have nice long versions (I won’t be making any of the shorter ones!).
Anyway, last week, I decided to begin with pattern 6889.
Not only is this an easy pattern, it also says on the instructions that it takes 2 hours sewing time. Great! I thought. I can run this up in one afternoon!
I won’t tell you exactly how long it took me, because I gave up looking at the clock on around day 3 but who cares? I have a dress! I followed the pattern for the long brown version
but I decided against adding the loop thingies which bring the shoulders in on both sides. I prefer to keep things simple, and flat, rather than adding the loops which give a scrunched up effect above the boobs.
It fits Doris nicely (my perky 90 year old dummy) . . . and it fits me rather nicely as well.
It’s your very basic “tent dress”. No zips, no frills, just one that you slip on over your head. Pattern called for binding to add around the neckline and armholes. I didn’t have any shop-bought binding the right colour, so I made my own.
I’m glad I did. It took extra time, but I think it gives the dress a better finish.
So, I’ve been having a happy dance, floating around in my new summer frock (indoors, I hasten to add because it’s freezing cold outside!). I’m not really a dress person, but I think that’s because I don’t like anything fancy . . . this one is very basic, and I love the chocolate coloured fabric I bought, especially for it. It’s only a cheap light-weight 100% cotton (which I did think to wash before cutting in case of shrinkage).
Now that I’ve followed the pattern once, successfully, I might make myself another in the same style, but adding pockets next time. The main difficulty I had was in deciding what size to make. Pattern came with US, European and French sizes . . . so I stuck to the size I was most sure about (French) and I know for future sewing (with NewLook patterns, at least) that that is the perfect size for me.