You remember I showed you a sneak peek of this
I can now show you what I was making, but unfortunately didn’t take a photo of the complete batch since some had left in the post before I had finished everything. I was making . . .
Coin purses – lol. I had watched a few videos on youtube, managed to find where to buy the clasp frames (I wanted the sew-on ones, not the glue-on ones) and I also found a tutorial (in French) to explain how to draw my own pattern, perfectly adapted to the shape and size of the clasp frame. I had drawn a pattern to begin with, which ended up looking like this
It wasn’t too bad, but the shape was too bulky on the sides, and I hadn’t thought to use iron-on interfacing to make fabric more rigid. Anyway, once I had drawn the new pattern, I had quite a production line going . . . however each purse is unique, and fabrics were chosen specifically for each person I was making for.
The one I made for myself is in greens, purple and gold ^^
Then there are these three – in such different styles of fabric.
left to right: for Lindashee, my sister and my 28 year old niece.
And then the rest (although Lindashee’s purse and mine are still in the group photo)
I still haven’t quite worked out how to keep the hand stitching of clasp invisible on the inside – so I got around that problem by matching my thread to the colour of lining fabric.
Stitching IS visible, but I’ve tried to keep it as regular as possible.
I had lots of fun with this sewing project. It was lovely to be learning a new technique. Lots of fun rummaging in my fabric stash, in search of the “perfect” fabric and I think they make gorgeous, inexpensive, little presents. The clasps cost me 3.75€ each and there was choice of colour with red, pearl-grey, blue, gold or green resin beads.