Lovely Lionel delivered a bubble envelope this morning and inside, a totally unexpected surprise from a French blogging friend, La pie kikou www.lapiekikou.over-blog.fr
A really fun card (that I had actually admired and commented on last week lol
a traditional embroidery chart with a CAT design and three skeins of DMC perle N° 5 threads.
I’m not quite sure whether these are the threads used for traditional embroidery or not as I’ve never used them (nor done traditional embroidery either) but I’m sure I’ll find a project for them. So a big thank you to Jocelyne (her real name) it was a lovely surprise and I can’t stop admiring the card.
Rather pretentious of me to put the following in my “tutorial” category because I doubt very much whether I’ll be showing you how to do something new BUT my aim is to encourage you to do it more often ^^
How many times do we finish a small cross stitch project, and then just shove it in a drawer because we don’t know what to do with it? Well, this year I have decided I want to make proper finishes of all stitching that goes on in this house and with that in mind, I set up workshop yesterday to finish of Lindashee’s little “Rose” character. She designed and stitched just for the fun, and once finished it was the inevitable “What shall I do with it now?”. And since I reckoned “Rose” was much too cute to be stuck in a drawer, I decided to frame her and she’ll be travelling down to Lyon this weekend where grandma is poorly.
Anyway, enough chat . . . out came cardboard, scissors, fabric, and double sided tape (I use a special heavy duty carpet tape).
Using the glass, from the cheap picture frame, I drew my cardboard outline and then, after measuring my design size, I measured and cut out window.
Then I cut fabric slightly bigger than my cardboard and cut a hole in the centre (cutting diagonally into the corners)
Then out came double-sided sticky tape and I covered my cardboard on both sides. Then proceeded to cover that with my fabric. I folded fabric over from the outside first (adter having cut fabric at out outer corners diagonally), and then added extra sticky tape where necessary as I folded fabric over from the centre. Tried to keep corners as neat as possible and not pull fabric too tight either.
Next I got another piece of cardboard (but forgot to photograph this step) and stuck the cross stitch piece on that and then stuck it behind my “window”. Then both pieces of cardboard, back in the picture frame to give me this I could have put the glass back in but decided not too. I like to see and feel the matt fabric texture rather than have it shining under glass and this also allowed me to decorate one of the not so neat corners with a single rose ^^